Do Hot Flashes -Ever- End?
iolaus
2013-02-05 02:27:09 UTC
Hello to all here, My name is Jean, I'm 53, married 23 years. My question is how long after menopause do these damned hot flashes go away? My periods ended 6 or 7 years ago, My doctor prescribed Estrace cream and I do use it but as far as hot flashes are concerned it's not much help. My doctor is a sweetheart but he feels HRT is too risky, I understand his concerns and I'm certainly not one to willingly court cancer, but if my temperature does not balance out soon both my husband and I will lose our respective minds.
Please any kind of advice would be dearly appreciated!
Thanks so much, Jeannine McArthur
Julie Bove
2013-02-05 05:47:10 UTC
Post by iolaus
Hello to all here, My name is Jean, I'm 53, married 23 years. My
question is how long after menopause do these damned hot flashes go
away? My periods ended 6 or 7 years ago, My doctor prescribed Estrace
cream and I do use it but as far as hot flashes are concerned it's
not much help. My doctor is a sweetheart but he feels HRT is too
risky, I understand his concerns and I'm certainly not one to
willingly court cancer, but if my temperature does not balance out
soon both my husband and I will lose our respective minds.
Please any kind of advice would be dearly appreciated!
Thanks so much, Jeannine McArthur
I'm 53 too and never had one. I had severe chilling instead. And not like
what they call cold flashes. I was just freezing all of the time. I bought
some OTC phystoestergen cream and within two hours of putting it on the
chilling and all other symptoms went away. I'd try that if I were you.
Mike Burke
2013-02-05 09:10:13 UTC
Post by iolaus
Please any kind of advice would be
dearly appreciated!
According to "The Doctor's Book of Home Remedies", orgasms really help.
They say that every time a woman has an orgasm, the level of hormones
that causes them drops. Thus, more orgasms equals less (or less intense)
hot flashes. The cougar that I am with now is post-menopausal (she's 56,
i'm 37) and we both swear by it.

Mike Burke
Chak
2013-02-08 05:25:08 UTC
Post by iolaus
Hello to all here, My name is Jean, I'm 53, married 23 years. My
question is how long after menopause do these damned hot flashes go
away? My periods ended 6 or 7 years ago, My doctor prescribed Estrace
cream and I do use it but as far as hot flashes are concerned it's not
much help. My doctor is a sweetheart but he feels HRT is too risky, I
understand his concerns and I'm certainly not one to willingly court
cancer, but if my temperature does not balance out soon both my
husband and I will lose our respective minds. Please any kind of
advice would be dearly appreciated! Thanks so much, Jeannine McArthur
Lots of us here have used other 'remedies'. There's a product called a
'chillow' that was very popular here, and I personally use hand fans all
the time. You can also stop a flash in a flash (heh) by applying cold
to the back of your neck.

Keep an electric fan at the foot of your bed so that when you wake with
night sweats you can cool down easily. You can also sleep on a beach
towel so that if you wake wet you can get dry. I use flannel sheets
year round because they absorb sweat so well, unlike the clammy percale
ones. Keep an extra nightshirt next to the bed, so that you can shed
damp clothes and dress again while hardly waking.

I like to keep a bandanna around my head, to catch the sweat. I find I
don't mind the heat so much if th sweat doesn't run into my eyes.

Seriously, use your imagination to find solutions for your particular
needs.

If your quality of life is seriously impaired, press your doctor for
meds. It's recommended to use them at the lowest effective dose for the
shortest possible time, but if you need them, you need them.

Good luck.

Chak
--
I say, if your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to
seriously re-evaluate your life.