Lightheadedness?
Chak
2012-12-30 01:22:40 UTC
Does anybody else get lightheaded? Lately if I've been propped up reading
for a short time, say 10-15 minutes, then I get up, I get very light-
headed, followed by an excellent hot flash. (I like the hot flashes these
days, as I keep the thermostat ridiculously low.)

I don't get this, usually, if I just stand up from a sitting position; it's
more going from a semi-supine position to a sitting position.

Anybody else get this? Ordinarily I'd just assume it was my reasonably-low
blood pressure, but the hot flash following makes me wonder.

Chak
--
I say, if your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to
seriously re-evaluate your life.
--Calvin, Calvin and Hobbes
Julie Bove
2012-12-31 07:54:24 UTC
Post by Chak
Does anybody else get lightheaded? Lately if I've been propped up
reading for a short time, say 10-15 minutes, then I get up, I get
very light- headed, followed by an excellent hot flash. (I like the
hot flashes these days, as I keep the thermostat ridiculously low.)
I don't get this, usually, if I just stand up from a sitting
position; it's more going from a semi-supine position to a sitting
position.
Anybody else get this? Ordinarily I'd just assume it was my
reasonably-low blood pressure, but the hot flash following makes me
wonder.
Chak
I do but I'm diabetic. Usually when this happens to me I am having a hypo
(low blood sugar). AFAIK I have never had a hot flash. If I am having a
hypo I might get chilled or I might break out in a cold sweat.

My dad wound up in the ER from getting dizzy when he got out of bed in the
morning. What they told him there was that he was trying to get up too
quickly. They said as we age, we have to be more careful in our movements
and that getting up quickly like that can cause our BP to drop. They told
him to sit up slowly. Stay seated on the bed for a little while. Look
around the room to get his bearings and then get up. And then what did he
do when it was time to leave? Yep! Hopped right up off of the bed.